Monday 30 January 2023

Two good games trigger the same old optimism...

Games 31-32, 2022-23

Taking a long break from work is usually a good thing, and that applies to refereeing as well. The Dread from six weeks ago is gone, and I can't explain really where it came from and how it's disappeared again. It's still as cold as it was back in December, and the skies are just as discouraging, but now there's a feeling that soon it will be February, and then we can say, "Next month, it's spring..." It helped that I had two almost perfect games to start off the second half of the season.

"Everything I learnt about the
morality and obligations of man..."
Here's how an amateur football game should play out. It should be hard, fast and intense, and the players should be serious enough about winning. There are fouls and a couple of flash-points, but the referee is on top of things to keep everyone calm, even those whose tempers flicker or flare. Offside decisions, and their inherent fallibility, are broadly accepted. At the end of the game, everyone shakes hands, and the coaches and players from both teams thank you for coming out on such a cold afternoon.

That's how these two matches played out. True, they were friendlies, but the archive of this blog alone proves that the 'friendly' label is like a sticker saying 'refreshing and child-safe' on a bottle of absinthe. But both encounters were immensely enjoyable to ref. Which means that there's not much to write about here besides standard stuff like the odd moan or two, a minor scrap, and a couple of nasty fouls. And for that I'm really grateful.

There is nothing I'd love more than to mothball this blog and sign off on it as a historical document reflecting a past age when sportsmanship was in the bin. A time when barely a week passed without me either doubting myself as a competent match official, or questioning the purpose of football as a mass recreational weekend pastime aimed at promoting health and generating pleasure.

It will take more than two successive quiet afternoons to confine my keyboard to the attic, I fear. Again, previous blog entries testify to my occasional bouts of naive optimism following a few games that were mainly incident-free. And they often come at the start of a season or just after the winter break, when teams possibly re-set and resolve to take a new approach to the game. A more sporting, more focused approach. Just like many of us start the New Year swearing off alcohol and rummaging in the drawer for our gym membership card.

And yet, without that optimism, there would be no point in showing up at all. "Why does man, sensing the absurdity of existence, simply not commit suicide?" was the existentialist question that drove the writings of Albert Camus. You could say that this blog asks the question, "Why do players (and referees), sensing the absurdity of sporting endeavour, simply not quit the game and spend their weekends reading Albert Camus instead?"

Because then I wouldn't have experienced a coach whose team had just lost 4-0 coming up to thank me and saying that I had an excellent game. Just seconds after I was needlessly thinking, "Oh, fuck, the coach whose team has just lost 4-0 is walking right towards me." Try not to forget that traumatic days will be balanced out by rewarding games. Cling on to the faith, or stay at home.

Game 31: 1-4 (1 x yellow)
Game 32: 4-0 (4 x yellow)

My new book 'Reffing Hell: Stuck in the Middle of a Game Gone Wrong' documents six years of whistling torment, tears and occasional ecstasy. Please buy a copy direct from Halcyon if you would like to support this blog and independent publishing.

2 comments:

  1. My Sunday evening men's match:
    - 30 seconds in: serious reckless foul 30 seconds in that I chose to deal with with a stern public "not again" conversation.
    - 3 minutes in: cleats in slide tackle, taking out the player and not even close to the ball, Send Off
    - Two more send offs in the match with a total of 13 cautions (four were double caution send offs; only three, neither of the send offs, were for dissent though many more dissent cautions likely were merited).

    Oh, by the way, with my assignor there to assess me. His only really serious questions after the game were "why didn't you caution" four fouls which I chose, for game management purposes, not to bring out a card. I had been concerned that I was not in control of the match, with all those cards and oral cautions (perhaps as many as there were cards). "No, we knew beforehand that this could be an ugly match. You set your standards clearly, communicated expectations, treated the two teams fairly, and it was their problem that they didn't play to the standards you set."

    A hard and (too) often unsportsmanlike match on the field in part because these two teams of young men had grown up together and had been playing with/against each other for 15 years on various teams. The match, I learned afterwards, also had some serious betting going on which might have intensified things. Yet, they were laughing/joking with each other before and after the match and, often, even during the match.

    And, despite that, a good match where coaches and many players thanked me afterwards, the league commissioner came up and told me he's been asking for me on the hard matches and he was pleased with how I'd managed them, and, as above, a good discussion with my assignor/assessor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a more eventful weekend than I did - and it sounds like one of those stressful games that you're happier about in retrospect than you maybe were during the 90. Sometimes you're not sure if you've had a decent game or not until you get some post-match feedback.

    ReplyDelete